Thursday, April 25, 2013

Different Mindset AFTER attending Jillian Michaels Maximize Your Life Tour


Last night I had the privilege of attending Jillian Michaels Maximize Your Life Tour at the Warner Theatre in DC. I wasn’t too sure what to expect from the show. I didn’t know if it was a weight loss event, a motivational speaking event... I just didn’t know, but it was my chance to see Jillian Michaels and hear what she had to say live. I was hoping that Jillian was the person who I perceived her to be. There is always fear when about to see/meet someone who you admire. I had the same feeling when I met Richard Simmons for the first time.

Like Richard, Jillian was so much more than I expected! Jillian is honest, funny, no-nonsense, but is also very compassionate. She understands the mental struggles that are associated with getting the better life that you desire. Most of us know she understands what it is like to be overweight. But she also understands what it is like to be scared to take risks that facilitate growth.

She shared many personal stories, she educated us on nutrition and how to really read food labels, she showed us that quality of the food is what matters, she proved that it’s not an all or nothing deal. She taught us the effective workouts that have given her success not only with the Biggest Loser contestants, but also her real life clients and for herself! While I did learn a lot from those sections of the show... It was the “self” portion of the show where I had my self realization moment. This section wasn’t about weight loss, though it could have been for some. This was about life. We covered everything from work, school, family, inner demons, fear, letting go etc... This was about what holds us back and why.

For those that know me very well, they know that I am fearful of falling flat on my face. It doesn’t matter that I know I can do something. The “what-if’s” and fear of the unknown outcome tends to put the brakes on. Let’s look at two similar examples...

When I became certified to teach various fitness classes I was terrified to actually teach. I was scared that I couldn’t do it. I was scared that the students wouldn’t like me. I was scared that I would be perceived as too easy. I was scared of being rejected in the fitness industry because of my size. I knew I could do it. But those thoughts were flooding through my mind. It wasn’t until another more experienced instructor told me that I could do it and I am good at it and just go for it. They told me for a specific class to make a bold first impression. “Plaster them to the wall.” I did. Since then I am extremely comfortable. I get nervous when teaching something new, but that’s different. I’m not paralyzed with fear. Once the music gets going I’m right back in my element. So this example is something that was easily worked through with the encouragement from a mentor.
 

This second example highlights my ah-ha moment during last night’s show.
 

Currently I work a basic 9-5 and then I teach fitness classes and do personal training. My 9-5 is life draining. There is little joy, I wake up in the morning and grumble and I go through the motions to get through the day. Being cooped up in a cube all day is not my idea of fun. However, it pays most of the bills and provides my much needed health insurance. Usually by Sunday afternoon I am already dreading going to the office the following day. Now, when it comes to teaching, training, or speaking I am up at the crack of dawn. I’m excited; I’m pumped up and ready to go. I would love to do more with fitness. I know I have to keep the 9-5 for insurance reasons.  But there is no reason that I can’t take on more classes, clients, or speaking engagements. Here’s the problem. I don’t! I have a million reasons why: I don’t have time, I am too tired, my 9-5 gets in the way, I have dogs, I want free time, etc... These are all very stupid reasons not to take on more. They are excuses. They are putting a cover on for what is really holding me back, fear. One of the fears I have is fear of it not happening. So what Jillian said was pure brilliance. She asked us to identify what the worst case scenario is if we don’t get what we want. The worst case is we don’t get what we want. After all, most of our goals if we don’t get it we aren’t going to die, we aren’t hurting anyone. It’s just the fear of not getting what we desire. But guess what... “You already don’t have it!” (Jillian Michaels, 2013)


It can be about anything-

·         You want to date someone and worry about being rejected or not being their girlfriend/boyfriend... guess what you already are not dating so what do you have to lose?
·         You could want a better paying job but afraid to go for it because you may not get it and feel judged in someway... guess what you already don’t have the higher paying job.
·         You want to lose 60 pounds but are afraid of not being able to do it... guess what you are already carrying the weight.

So the reality is... we really have nothing to lose because we don’t have what we desire. We are already at the bottom rung and the only place to go is up!

I had many moments that were eye opening. But I just want to share one more. She was talking about nutrition and reading labels. Specifically we were talking about the low fat or no fat labels that claim to have zero calories. Zero calories sounds amazing right? There are health experts out there who suggest we eat these zero calorie condiments/foods because they are better for us. Personally, I prefer the full versions and just watch my portion sizes. But that’s another topic for another day. Anyways... There was one label that she showed on the screen. No fat, no calories. SCOOOORE!!! Right? Doesn’t that sound too good to be true? Well if it sounds too good to be true than it is. When looking at the ingredients list things didn’t add up... I’ll just give one ingredient that was on the list that will leave you scratching your head. Buttermilk. Can someone please explain to me how buttermilk has no calories? Anyways, it turns out that this product has 1200 calories per bottle. That doesn’t sound calorie free to me. They get around it because of serving size. And then they are allowed to round. Once rounded there is legally no calories. But there is. You can’t go crazy with these no calorie products. There are calories. A very irritating loophole if you ask me. We are trying to get healthy and do the right thing, but the way labels are allowed to be makes it very difficult. She then showed us what to avoid and what to look for. Very eye opening. Ok, one more example with labels... then I’ll stop talking about it. There are multiple names for sugar. We think we are making a good choice by purchasing a protein bar. Sugar is not one of the first three ingredients on the label so we get it. But is this actually true? We must keep reading that label,  if you see three or four different sugars on the label chances are sugar should be a top three ingredient. It’s not because it’s a different type of sugar, which is the work around to ensure sugar isn’t the first thing on the label. I don’t know about you but this makes me mad. We the consumer must educate ourselves.

Jillian Michaels Maximize Your Life Tour was well done, well thought out, well researched, but most importantly real. There was a true connection between her and the audience. What makes it great is her passion. She loves what she does, she loves to teach and empower people and it shows. This show goes beyond weight loss. This show empowers you to dare to tackle your dreams. Anyone can dream, but this is about going after what you really want.

And I’ll leave you with this message. Remember when Jillian said “Unless you faint, puke or die, keep going.” We are not on the biggest loser. We are at home. We don’t have medics on standby. Jillian would rather you stop and be safe. She said so, just last night.

If the opportunity arises for me to see her again I would without any hesitation. If her tour is coming to a city near you, do yourself a favor. Get a ticket. It is well worth it. I gained more real life insight from her in 2+ hours than I had from anyone else. This isn’t a weight loss show, this is a show on life.

 Dare to live your dreams
~Meg

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment