Thursday, November 10, 2011

You Are More Than A Weekly Weigh In Number

It is clear that the scale isn't the only way to measure success. Sometimes, the scale doesn't reflect the amount of effort a person puts in week after week. Don't let a non moving or slow moving scale discourage you. Instead focus on your personal triumphs.



Here is how I measure my success.



I am up to 240lbs for the leg press. This doesn't mean I am forever staying at this weight. I have gradually increased my weight from 80lbs to where it is now. How I judge success is: Can I do it longer? Can I add more weight? Can I handle more resistance? Can I do this weight with one leg? Oh and I can :) Can I add extra calf raises?


Stairs (which I hate btw) I judge success by can I run up and down 3 times. Can I add additional weight? Can I add more laps? Can I add in a strength interval?


Plyometrics is hard for me, but I do it anyway. I judge success by determining whether I can do more of level 2 and 3 over level 1? Can I jump higher? Can I consistently jump onto the large step and back down or do I need to rest? How long do I last until I need a break? Did I last longer this time?


Being aware of how I feel is a good gauge in helping me determine how I'm doing. It's hard not to feel good when you work out like a maniac. Endorphins are a good thing. If I'm not feeling good, maybe I'm doing something wrong. Or maybe I slacked off. Sometimes, I could just be having an off day and that is ok. Everyone has an off day. You can't be perfect all the time. Additionally, I am cognizant of how my clothes are fitting; are they loose? Are they getting tight? Getting tight is a bad thing. If this happens, look at your exercise, look at your food log, are you being honest with yourself? Nip it in the bud, don't wait until you are shopping for larger clothes.

Right now I am fighting an uphill battle with the flexed arm hang. I must pass the flexed arm hang test to be considered for a fitness certification I have my eyes set on. My shoulder is stubborn, not healing to my standards. It has been left extremely weak. So I've been practicing. As of right now I am concentrating on just hanging for 15 seconds. When I first tried I lasted 3, then 6, now 11. To me that is success. There is progressive improvement. I am working on grip strength and mental toughness. I want to be sure I give this goal my all. If it turns out I can't do the hang without damaging my shoulder I won't go for the certification, but for now... I'm going for it until my body tells me otherwise.


With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts. ~Eleanor Roosevelt


Another measurement of success is passing up an extra slice of pizza, ordering a salad instead of fried chicken, passing up a beer for lemon water. These too are successes.


Success lies around every corner. It doesn't always have to reflect a number. Sometimes success is simply doing just a little better or making the harder choice.


What are your successes?


Be proud of what you have achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment