Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Holiday Mayhem Part 1-Cooking

It’s November 1. It’s now the holiday season. I’ve been giving tips on my facebook page on how to keep active and providing some healthy eating ideas for family dinners and parties. However this doesn’t help release all of the stress associated with the holidays. For this blog post I wanted to do something different. I’m not going to give fitness tips or inspirational stories.  I will provide practical tips on helping ease the stress of the holiday dinner.

I am a big planner. I plan meals, workouts, social time, cleaning schedules, etc… All of this helps me keep less stressed and frustrated. But what happens if I have to plan a meal for 10 or 15 or 20! I would begin to feel stressed, just as I’m sure many of you would.  I would probably implode under the pressure, sacrificing my healthy lifestyle choices. It doesn’t have to be this way, there is a solution. It comes with planning and accepting help.

Does Aunt Rose and Grandma Jo always offer to bring something? Let them! They want to help. I know it can get crowded in the kitchen, so only let people who are helping you prepare foods in the kitchen. No food bandits allowed. To prevent the temptation of these food bandits or snackers, have a couple of appetizer trays in other rooms. Consider a veggie platter, olives, cheese and crackers, simple fun finger foods that don’t require much work to put together.

Another great way to plan ahead for big get togethers is to cook the night before. This is great for things that you just need to heat up or simply serve, such as casserole dishes, salads (don’t put dressing on it, it will wilt over night!), desserts, and the appetizer trays.

Cleaning up can also cause a lot of stress. Seeing all of the pots, pans, and utensils build up in the sink can make some people feel overwhelmed. You can do as I do which is clean as I go, or you could delegate to someone who keeps asking “what can I do to help.”

Remember by delegating and accepting help allows you to enjoy the day as well. You won’t be trapped in the kitchen all day only to see your friends and family enjoy the cooking and seeing them as the leave. You could instead watch the game with them, play games, or simply get caught up.

No comments:

Post a Comment